To: Members of the Bar Association for the United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
Re: Nominations for the John Hannah, Jr. Award for Public Service
The Annual Bench Bar Conference for the Eastern District Federal Courts is scheduled for October 4-6, 2017 at the Plano Marriott at Legacy Town Center in Plano, Texas. This letter is to request the submission of nominations for the 2017 John Hannah, Jr. Award for Public Service. The ward recognizes a Texas attorney admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, who has demonstrated a superior commitment to public service. An attorney who receives the award should be distinguished by significant act or series of related acts that have contributed significantly to raising the public profile and image of the legal profession in the Eastern District of Texas. The recipient should have a record of outstanding accomplishments based on the recipient’s commitment to public service that is marked by high standards of personal integrity and dedication.
In keeping with Judge Hannah’s own legal experience, attorneys from all manner of professional backgrounds are eligible to receive the award. The criteria for submission for nominees are as follows:
1. The attorney must be admitted and in good standing to practice law in the State of Texas for at least five years;
2. The attorney must be admitted and in good standing to practice before the Eastern District of Texas;
3. The attorney must be an accomplished practitioner, recognized by his peers as an excellent attorney;
4. The attorney must have demonstrated superior commitment to public service; and
5. The attorney must have demonstrated diligent and faithful service to the State of Texas and to the United States of America.
The award recipients will be formally recognized at the October Bench Bar meeting. This is the only award presented by the Bar Association of the Eastern District of Texas and therefore, it carries with it substantial prestige and honor befitting the memory of Judge John Hannah, Jr. I urge you to give thought to nominating a deserving attorney for this award. Please send your nominations to Elizabeth Black Berry, 5258 Ariel St., Houston, Texas or email@example.com on or before Wednesday, September 4, 2017.
Wiliam E. “Bo” Davis
President, E.D. Bar Association, 2016-17