The Eastern District of Texas has adopted the Judiciary’s national CJA eVoucher System for on-line voucher preparation and submission. eVoucher is required for all CJA voucher submissions.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: To ensure timely processing of all CJA vouchers please verify all information is correct prior to submitting your expenses for payment. Our office will review voucher form types, hourly rates, compensation maximums, mileage rates, signatures, and receipt attachments. All individuals performing services are required to register with DUNS and System Award Management (SAM), therefore, review the link below associated with this requirement. Failure to properly fill out your vouchers will delay your payments. For further guidance please read the "Do's"" and "Don'ts" and review the Quick Links for additional information on CJA guidelines and policy.
Current and Historic Mileage Rates
- Register for DUNS/System Award Management (SAM)
- Maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Itemize expenses daily using eVoucher.
- Submit claims for services providers using eVoucher
- Submit vouchers no later than 45 days after final disposition of case.
- In non-capital cases, attach form CJA 26 stating the nature and complexity of the case for amounts over statutory maximums.
- If overnight travel is required, seek approval from the court.
- Travel expenses must be itemized. A separate receipt is needed for airfare, hotel, car rental, meals, etc.
- ALWAYS get prior authorization for service provide fees over $800. [Guide, § 310.20.20]
- Ask questions, we are here to help you.
- Accept payment from the defendant.
- Forget to obtain prior approvals. It may affect your payment.
- Forget to identify in-court and out-of-court hours.
- Claim expenses for service providers on a CJA 20/30.
- Claim any office overhead such as secretarial help, maintenance, etc.
- Claim expenses related to printing briefs.
- Claim alcoholic beverages, entertainment, parking, fines, or personal expenses.
- Discard any time or expense records related to your voucher. It is subject to audit for 3 years after final approval.
- Use the per diem rate. Expenses must be itemized.
- Forget to obtain separate receipts for all travel expenses.
- Use Travelocity, Priceline, or similar services for travel. These companies do not provide itemized receipts.
- Incur expenses on behalf of another attorney working on the same case. You will not be reimbursed.
- Wait to submit your voucher because it will cause your payment to be delayed.