- Local Rules
- Login to the CM/ECF and PACER System
Criminal Justice Act
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: To ensure timely processing of all CJA vouchers please verify all information is correct prior to submitting your expenses for payment. Our office will review voucher form types, hourly rates, compensation maximums, mileage rates, signatures, and receipt attachments. All individuals performing services are required to register with DUNS and System Award Management (SAM), therefore, review the link below associated with this requirement. Failure to properly fill out your vouchers will delay your payments. For further guidance please read the "Do's"" and "Don'ts" and review the Quick Links for additional information on CJA guidelines and policy.
In accordance with the Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution, the federal judiciary has historically appointed counsel in federal criminal proceedings for those unable to bear the cost of representation. The enactment of the Criminal Justice Act (CJA) of 1964 and its subsequent amendment in 1970 established a comprehensive system for appointing and compensating lawyers to represent financially eligible defendants in federal criminal proceedings. Each district court, with the approval of the judicial council of the circuit, is required to have a plan for furnishing representation for any person financially unable to obtain adequate representation in a federal criminal case. Each district's plan must provide for representation of eligible persons in the circumstances set forth in 18 U.S.C.§3006A(a)(1) and (2) and specify how such representation will be delivered. For more information, please refer to the CJA Plan.
CJA Panel Members
To view the listing of CJA panel attorneys see the Current List of CJA Panel Members.
- Register for DUNS/System Award Management (SAM)
- Maintain accurate and detailed records.
- Itemize expenses daily using eVoucher.
- Submit claims for services providers using eVoucher
- Submit vouchers no later than 45 days after final disposition of case.
- In non-capital cases, attach form CJA 26 stating the nature and complexity of the case for amounts over statutory maximums.
- If overnight travel is required, seek approval from the court.
- Travel expenses must be itemized. A separate receipt is needed for airfare, hotel, car rental, meals, etc.
- ALWAYS get prior authorization for service provide fees over $800. [Guide, § 310.20.20]
- Ask questions, we are here to help you.
CJA Guideline Quicklinks
- CJA Policy Guide
- CJA Panel Application
- Compensation Maximums for Cases and Service Providers
- Voucher Policies and Procedures
- Compensation and Expenses of Appointed Counsel
- Appointment and Termination of Appointment of Counsel
- Rates: Mileage, Per Diem, CJA Hourly and Maximum
- Authorization and Payment for Investigative, Expert and Other Services
- Additional Resources
- CJA Voucher Recommendations from CA5